Science is taught from Year 3 onwards by subject specialists in our very own state-of-the-art Science Lab. Lessons are not just limited to indoor spaces, however, and teachers always look to bring learning to life by using our beautiful school surroundings for wildlife projects, linking our Science topics to our Outdoor Learning programme and a residential trip to a nature reserve. Every effort is made through the curriculum to relate the children to the world around them and how it works. The children are taught in a stimulating, hands on environment that encourages curiosity to evolve into understanding. Every year the school celebrates Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths with a themed STEM week in the Spring Term, enabling the children to problem solve and tackle real life issues collaboratively. Visiting workshops and experts are invited into our school throughout the year to share their area of expertise with the children.
Aims of the Science department
- To broaden their scientific view of the world around them and develop a deeper understanding of a wide range of scientific ideas.
- Ensure the progressive development of scientific concepts, knowledge and skills.
- To work scientifically in a range of appropriate contexts and communicate their findings in a scientific report.
- To develop children’s natural curiosity about themselves and the world they live in.
- To provide lots of practical investigation opportunities.
- To build upon the experiences pupils bring to Science and develop them in a wide range of contexts.
- To encourage pupils to work both independently and as part of a team, and to develop their research skills.
We aim to teach knowledge, skills and understanding through programmes of study relating to the following four areas:
- Working Scientifically
- Life processes and living things
- Materials and their properties
- Physical processes
Emphasis is also placed on promoting key skills of Communication, Number, ICT, Teamwork and Investigating. Children are encouraged to use and enjoy the wonderful outdoor learning environment on our doorstep.