Working as individuals, in pairs and as part of a team, our pupils are challenged to identify needs, wants and opportunities – and to respond to them by forming ideas, developing them and making high-quality products. Through the use of the right technology and specialist teaching, they can become discerning, innovative and informed designers and productor developers.
Starting in Year 3 and Year 4, the children focus on DT – the skills they are going to need, the equipment that might be used and the process involved in creating a high-quality outcome. In Year 5 and Year 6 the emphasis shifts to Engineering, where more of a problem-solving mindset becomes the focus. By following a five-step cyclical process of ‘Imagine – Plan – Create – Improve – Ask’, our pupils quickly realise that failure does not matter – and that it is the skill of learning from mistakes/refining which they discover along the way which will help them make the greatest impact on this ever-changing world in the future.
Blundell’s Preparatory School has a light, modern, well-resourced DT room, which offers an excellent environment in which the children can be both confident and innovative learners.
Aims of the Engineering and DT Department
- To develop children’s designing and making skills.
- To develop their knowledge and understanding.
- To develop the children’s capability to create high quality products through combining their designing and making skills with knowledge and understanding.
- To nurture creativity and innovation through designing and making.
- To explore values and attitudes to the world of products and how we live and work within it.